Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Mentor You Need to Succeed

This post is labeled under Personal Development

As one enters the workplace, new things are needed to learn quickly to adapt on the demands of the organization’s goals. It now depends on you on how you cope with the change around without your usual teachers who helped you during college.

You now acquired the needed skills. Things started to smoothen out and you can do your job fast with ease. Boredom sets in and you aspire to do more than the present demands your position is asking for. You’re determined to spice up your skills and be creative at the same time to gain your boss’ attention in order to get ahead. But who’s going to teach you on how to be competitive?



The author together with his mentors

Ask someone to be your mentor

When I was new working and still learning the grasp of our business, I was usually sent to other department to ask the things to be done to fulfill the needs of our group. Normally, you are referred to somebody in-charge of your needs. This is the time you build relationship with colleagues to get things done easily.

Ask the person responsible on how the system works (paper to fill-in, signatories for approval, etc) so you may do the required tasks on hand. Don’t forget to thank that person for helping out in fulfilling your needs. Tell him/her that you may need to back in the future in case you need to clarify things you don’t understand yet.

On some cases, you see things differently and suggest change. You are not sure on how you will go about it but have a feeling that it will work out. That’s time you seek a mentor who understands fully the effects on system change.

Don’t waste your mentor’s time


Be prepared to study things on your own first. Explain to your mentor on how you understand it and validate through him/her if your understanding is correct. Show interest by asking the right questions connected to your quest. Be an “eager beaver” to show your enthusiasm to produce results.

You will be amazed how helpful your mentor can be when he/she senses your interest to learn. Mentors like to share their expertise on person who does extra mile of learning new things. Be attentive to listen as your mentor discusses details.

When mentoring opens door to new opportunities

As I have worked as technical engineer to a telecomm project, I asked our manager on how to implement the project that seems to be complicated. Fresh from college and just seeing how fiber optic technology works on a telecomm project, my manager sensed my interest and recommended to see the project at the provincial site in Albay, Philippines.

I was sent to that place just to observe, study and be able to recommend what are the things I could suggest to implement the project fast. A week stay there was like a paid vacation and an opportunity to learn at the same time. Not to mention the chance of seeing beautiful places the province offers.

“There’s no one who seems like to help! “

I heard a friend from a distance who complained how her career became stagnant and she does not see any progress of learning new things in almost four years. According to her, the setup of the organization is not geared towards advancement of one’s career. She plans to quit and move somewhere else.

I’ve also reached the point that my mentor (boss) at that time could no longer suffice my appetite to learn new things; the time that I seek out on how I could improve myself under the tutelage of the experts on other fields. I’ve started to read books.

Overtime, my writings improve. I could read faster and the presentation I deliver becomes better. Other bosses in the management started to notice my skills.

Quit complaining. Stop making excuses. Thrive on the situation you are in right now and seek the very first important mentor that will teach valuable lessons on improvement: YOU.

9 comments:

  1. Very nice read Sir, please do keep up posting blogws from time to time, would really like to read more of your writings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually added your blog to my favorites and will look forward for more updates. Great Job, Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of the most incredible blogs Ive read in a very long time. The amount of information in here is stunning, like you practically wrote the book on the subject. Your blog is great for anyone who wants to understand this subject more. Great stuff; please keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there thank for give us valuable information in your blog i hope you can provide more information like this in future. 

    ReplyDelete
  5.  discovered your blogs link put up by a friend on Facebook. Thank you for putting useful info on the internet. Its tough to get these things nowadays

    ReplyDelete
  6. i m always aware of postings your blogs and the corresponding information.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is my first visit to this blog. We are starting a new initiative in the same niche as this blog. Your blog provided us with valuable information to work with. You have done a admirable job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It contains truly information. I want to thank you for this informative read; I really appreciate sharing this great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is the perfect blog for anyone who wants to know about this stock Tips topic. It contains truly information. Your website is very useful. I admire the valuable advice you make available in your expertly written content. I want to thank you for this informative read; I really appreciate sharing this great.

    ReplyDelete